Fashion is the art of applying design, aesthetics, clothing, and natural beauty to clothing and its accessories. The Fashion Industry is one of the most booming and creative industries today
The First Fashion Designer who was more than a simple seamster was Charles Frederick Worth, in the 19th century. He set up his Fashion Design house in Paris, clothing was made by anonymous dressmakers and fashion standards were derived from the styles worn by royalty.
Fashion Designers contribute to the ethnicity and culture of a particular region. They keep updating themselves about the recent trends in the fashion world.
The essential requirements are artistic skills and also creativity. Teamwork is another vital skill that is required because the designer must have excellent communication with everyone in the process to get the desired outcome. Marketing skills and competitive nature is also required in this field to find new customers. Additional to all these skills, a Fashion Designer should have a good sense of texture, colour, quality of raw materials, compositions, etc.
Many institutions offer Fashion Designing as professional courses. Bachelor in Design is the basic course that is available for anyone who wishes to take up Fashion Designing as a profession. There are also many fashion-related entrance exams like NIFT, AIEED, SEED, etc.
There are also many jobs titles associated with a Fashion Designer.
- Fashion illustrator
- Fashion consultant
- Costume designer
- Fashion show coordinator
- Fashion photographer
- Fashion entrepreneur
- Fashion merchandiser
- Fashion sub-editor
- Pattern designer
- Production supervisor
- Accessories designer
Some of the top Indian fashion designers
- Sabyasachi Mukherjee
- Masaba Gupta
- Ritu Kumar
- Manish Malhotra
- Tarun Tahiliani
- Neeta Lulla
- Anamika Khanna
Top Institutes of Fashion Designing in India:
- National Institute of Fashion Technology(NIFT)
- Pearl Academy
- Symbiosis Institute of design, Pune
- JD Institute of Fashion Technology, Bangalore
- Nehru Academy of Arts and Science
Top Universities of Fashion Designing in the USA:
- Fashion Institute of Technology(FIT), New York
- University of Southern California
- Washington University in St. Louis
- Carnegie Mellon University
- California Institute of the Arts
Top universities of Fashion Designing in the UK:
- Central Saint Martins
- De Montfort University
- Kingston University
- London College of Fashion
- University of Salford
Fashion Designing is one of the most in-demand careers in the world. Being a highly creative field, it can give you the opportunity to blend cultures, traversal traditional attires to the contemporary ones and even play with colour themes! Every dress has its own story to tell and you can be the storyteller! Here some reasons that make Fashion Designing a super career;
- It would give you the maximum possible satisfaction.
- Be your own boss and you can start your own brand from zero.
- It will change the way you see the world as the field is full of creativity and fun.
- Industry gives you a huge margin on almost every product.
- It gives you an opportunity to achieve fame for what you are doing.
- You will have a lot of opportunities to travel around the globe because clients can be from any part of the world.
- Get ready to Face all kind of works arriving in a single workplace.
- You may also get a chance to meet celebrities and other people who have a passion for Fashion Designing just like you if you pursue a career in this field.
The field of Fashion Designing has improved a lot compared to the initial days of its emergence. Initially, it was not accepted as a career option in many regions, but with the advancements in this field, it has become one of the most sought-after areas. For anyone with a strong inclination towards the Fashion field, I feel that with proper training and guidance, Fashion Designing is one of the best career options.